What are the benefits of FCA membership?
- The Florida Communication Journal – All members receive two issues of the FCJ per year. The FCJ is a state journal that attracts national and international submissions.
- Annual Convention – Every year participants comment on the warm atmosphere of our annual convention. In contrast to larger conventions, it is easy to make new contacts, share information and be involved.
- Information to Improve Classroom Effectiveness – Many of our conference panels provide helpful teaching strategies and classroom activities that are geared toward a variety of communication sub-specialties. We also have recently added a teaching tips section to our member newsletter.
- Great value –Membership for faculty in FCA is the most economical in the communication discipline, and student membership is offered at an even lower cost to encourage participation.
- Member Newsletter – Our newsletter provides a way to keep members updated and connected throughout the year – including tips on increasing classroom effectiveness.
What can I expect from participation in the FCA?
- Informality and opportunity for more personal contact and involvement.
- Geographic proximity to other members for professional networking.
- Lower cost and less time commitment for conference attendance.
- Provides a less intimidating environment for presentations (ideal for junior faculty and students, as well as good feedback to senior researchers and scholars).
- Long history of strong affiliation and tradition.
What awards are given by the FCA?
The following are the awards given out by the FCA:
- FCA Teacher of the Year
- FCA Service Award
- Professional, Graduate and Undergraduate Convention Awards
- Student Scholarship Award
- FCA Grant
Who are the members of the Executive Board?
The current FCA Executive Board Members are listed on “Executive Board Members” link on our home page. The FCA Executive Board members are a diverse group of academic professionals serving throughout the the state of Florida.
How do I become a member of the FCA?
You can join the FCA at any time throughout the year by completing the membership form on this website at https://floridacom.org/membership-option/
How can I get more involved?
One of the nicest things about the FCA is the ability to get involved. There are committees faciliated by the Executive Board, Campus Contact roles, Scholarship Judges and Journal Review positions available. Committees include the membership committee, site selection committee, awards committee, etc.
What is a campus contact?
A campus contact is the person to whom information on the FCA would be directed. This person would be charged with the task of disseminating this information to all the communication colleagues on their campus. This would include adjuncts and students/student associations that might otherwise not be on our lists.
I am presenting my first paper. Do you have any advice?
Your presentation should follow conventions of public speech. Plan an intriguing introduction and conclusion. Organize the body of your speech and provide internal organization mechanisms for easy of listening. Stick strictly to allotted time and do not read your paper or outline, speak extemporaneously. Cover all of the necessary points, but do so with brevity in mind; less is more. You may also find additional details in many academic publications, such as:
- Gosling, P.J. (1999). Scientist’s Guide to Poster Presentations. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers: New York.
- Jones, L.B., Clark, M. & Hollier, J. A Checklist for Conference Presenters. Innovation Abstracts, XVIV (1).
What is considered professional behavior at the convention?
As with any professional organization or gathering, everyone is expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner. This means using good judgment when deciding on appropriate topics of conversation, dress, and consumption of alcohol. It is also important to employ proper etiquette when approaching others. Be conscious of what they are doing; do not interrupt unnecessarily or speak during another’s presentation. Save questions until after a presenter has finished, or questions are invited by the session facilitator. Often there will be several presentations in a panel format and the moderator may offer a summary or a review before opening the session to Q & A from the audience.
When should I plan to arrive and depart from the convention?
We invite you to participate fully in our convention. On Thursday night, everyone is invited to our Welcome Reception which is followed by our opening spotlight session. Arriving early gives you an opportunity to visit with old friends and engage in valuable networking opportunities. The convention runs through Saturday, midafternoon, which allows you to attend sessions and be a part of the business of the FCA. Our Saturday luncheon is important for honoring award winners and discussing ways to get more involved in the FCA to make it stronger in the future.
How should I organize my time at the convention?
It is your first priority to know when you are scheduled to present. Your attendance at sessions will be scheduled around your presentation. From this point on it is entirely up to you to decide what is important or of interest to you and to plan your schedule accordingly. The convention schedule will be available online in the summer and displayed prominently at the convention.
Does the FCA offer any special events for first time attendees? Yes, on the first night of the convention, Thursday we will have a Welcome Reception. Please join us to meet some of our other members. Location will be announced at registration.
I am the only person coming from my institution. How can I meet people?
One way is to arrive early enough to sign up for social events at the conference. It is also recommended that new members register early and attend the Welcome Reception to familiarize you with the convention specifics. Furthermore, it is recommended that you as a new or single attendee partake of all the meetings that are offered to you with your membership. You’ll find the FCA members warm and friendly.
If I’m alone, what should I do at mealtime?
Meal time is also a great time to meet new people. Most individuals at the FCA welcome you to join their table if they are also just being seated. It is very common to continue your conversation with session participants over lunch. Invite others to join you instead of waiting for an invitation. You should also plan to attend the President’s Reception on Friday evening and attend our evening social events. These are advertised as the convention nears and are available for sign up at registration.
How can I network with others?
For everyone, the convention is an opportunity to meet new people with whom you share an interest. In the event that you see someone who you admire or simply spot someone you want to meet, you may have someone introduce you or you may introduce yourself. Those attending these functions expect to meet many new people; therefore walking up to someone would not be inappropriate.
How can I find out more details about the hotel, transportation and logistics?
Go to https://floridacom.org/convention-registration/
How can I find out more details about the program at the convention?
Go to https://floridacom.org/convention-registration/